Friday, November 23, 2007

First Overstock, now Yelp is reporting my activity to Facebook

Last week I ranted for a bit once I learned that Overstock.com was trying to make posts in my outgoing mini-feed on Facebook about my purchases. Or perhaps Facebook was monitoring my activity on Overstock. I actually find this second option scarier.

I had just begun to calm down about that, and then Yelp did it to me! I accepted an invitation to Yelp and joined today. After my first review, a little slide-up (not really a pop-up, but a window that slides up from the bottom-right of your browser-window) appears. It's not intuitive how to control the slide-up. Anyway, it tells me that my review is being posted to Facebook.

Sure enough, I visit Facebook and the information is waiting for me... I couldn't tell if it had already been posted or if I had to approve it. Either way. I was pissed. Not as pissed as last week. But still pissed.

FACEBOOK, IT IS NOT OK TO COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT ME FROM OTHER SITES. PLEASE STOP.

0 comments: