Thursday, November 8, 2007

My online purchases being reported to Facebook? That's going too far.

The type of control that Facebook is allowing others to take on my profile is disturbing.

I just purchased a DVD from Overstock.com. I'm doing my holiday shopping early this year. I was already annoyed that Overstock's $1 site-wide shipping doesn't apply to "Books, DVD's, or anything else I might want to buy." Nor did my 7% AAdvantage discount.

At the end of the checkout, a very hidden notification at the bottom-right of my screen said something to the effect of: "Overstock.com is reporting this purchase on your Facebook profile."

Fuck man. I can't take a shit without someone getting a Facebook notification about it. This DVD is not even for me. I don't want the whole world to know about all my purchases.

AND FURTHERMORE, WHEN THE FUCK DID I EVER GIVE OVERSTOCK THE RIGHT TO POST THINGS TO MY FACEBOOK PROFILE? WHEN DID I EVER EVEN SAY IT WAS OK TO CHECK AND SEE IF I HAD ONE?

[I imagine I wavered that right in some form when I agreed to their policies, but they could have still asked.]

Fortunately, because I caught the hidden notification I was able to open a pop-up and say "No Thanks." But the title of the notification made it sound like it was already a done deal. That freaks me out. No more Overstock.com for me.

0 comments: