Sunday, December 23, 2007

Simple DIY Gift Bow Hack

I've been fascinated with different uses of LED throwies for quite a while. Yes, I am easily amused. And yes, I have an mild obsession-turned-non-sexual crush on LED's.

This year I decided to incorporate throwies into my Christmas presents. There's just so much you can do with them, without actually needing the magnet:
  • Put a bunch of them in a box, so when the receiver opens the gift up, there's light coming from inside
  • Decorate the outside of the box with alternating red and green LED's
  • Put the LED inside a gift bow, so an interior glow comes from within.
I tried all three options and found that the third idea is the easiest, cheapest, most practical, and receives the best response from the receiver.

All you need is a ~3V 5mm diffused LED, a CR2032 battery, and some tape. And of course, a gift bow. Thanks to the miracle of buying in bulk off eBay and my frugal post-Christmas shopping last January, each bow costs me about 75 cents.

If I have to explain anything more to you, you probably shouldn't be playing with electricity.

0 comments: